Friday, July 18, 2008

Dino Bones

Last week we all had a bit of cabin fever. There is only so much time I can spend waiting for the real estate agent to call and book a showing. We packed up, visited Fort Fetterman, then drove to Glenrock by the back roads and went to the dinosaur museum. They don't have much room, but nearly all the displays are real bones, not casts. All the real bones come from Wyoming, many from this south eastern corner and some from right outside Douglas and Glenrock. As just a walk through, it probably wouldn't be a very impressive tour--like I said, the don't have much room--but the volunteers who clean the bones that have been brought in are working right in the back room. One of them gave us a tour; the absolute most informative museum tour I've ever had. She knew how old all the bones were, could describe where they were found, how they wer prepared and brought in, then she showed us the work room where about six ladies were cleaning rock from around various bones. One of the dinosaurs they found, an aquatic one, might be a new species. That would be a huge deal in the anthropology community.

It's hard to remember, when things are so hot and dry, that most of Wyoming was covered by shallow ocean, and that this was so long ago that the rocky mountains didn't even exist. The landscape was completely different than it is today. It's one of those ancient facts I know, but don't quite comprehend. I wish I could rewind geological time and watch all of it happening. It's hard to wrap my head around 65 million years or more.

2 comments:

Jesse said...

i think that Dino's are amazing but i couldn't imagine what it would be like with Dino's walking around today that would weird with a sign saying Dino crossing.
jesse-

Tinkerbabe13 said...

My mom took my younger brother, and younger counsin to that mueseam last week. I had been there before so I didn't go, but it is amazing to think there were things living in Douglas during Fred Flintstones time.
Miss you much
Tabbitha M.