Monday, August 18, 2008

And I wasn't there

First, look at that baby countdown! Under 75 days already. I can hardly believe it.

Today was the teachers' first day back to school here. I wasn't there. I couldn't help reflecting on the difference, on how today would have been different. Of course, there are the mechanics of the day--up at 5:30 instead of 7, packing lunch instead of fixing it at home, etc--but the meat of it was the way the time was spent and the company kept.

The first day of school is usually deadly dull for teachers. Other than the pleasure of seeing one's coworkers again and catching up on all the summer news, the majority of the day (the majority of the week, often) is meetings. We gather in the commons, which is either much too hot because the air conditioning is broken (again) or much too cold because the air conditioning is working really well, but doesn't hit a set temperature easily. The principal will probably start the day with test scores and AYP information because he likes charts and numbers and made the powerpoint himself. If any goodies are served, the secretaries brought them, because the principal won't remember.

The first meeting takes all morning. It doesn't matter how much or little information is conveyed, the meeting takes all morning. Breka for lunch and a chance to escape, then back for, yup, more meetings. Maybe CPR training. CPr training is good, but I'm glad I don't have to do it while I'm pregnant again because it involves a lot of getting down on the floor and getting up again.

By the end of the day, I'm exhausted, even though I don't feel like I've done anything useful.

My day today, thankfully did not involve meetings. It did not involve a screaming tearful farewell between the toddler and me at the babysitter's house. I woke and did my morning routine. I woke the girls, dressed the fed the toddler, let the teen dress and feed herself (okay, so I made her eggs; I'm good at making eggs). We had our Spanish lesson and we've added health to the day, so we had that lesson as well. We ran errands, which involved stopping by the HS with the intent of telling them that Chalea is no longer a student. They were having meetings in their commons, which is between the front door and office. So that didn't get done. I really want to tell them that she needs to be taken off the enrollment because they get the money for her until she is taken off. They aren't teaching her, so they don't need the money.

After lunch, we took Lilli to the playground for a little bit, took her home and put her down for a nap. Chalea watched her while I went to a doctor's app.

Different? Oh definitely. Less stress, for one. Time to put my pregnant feet up for another. Maybe the lack of stress will prevent me from developing pre-eclampsia and having to induce the baby early this time.

1 comment:

2013200 said...

Dear Mrs. Fuentes,
I'm sorry to see that I'm the first person to answer but I will try to tell people about your new blog.


From: Patrick Marin 7th period LA