Friday, September 26, 2008

All's Well in Baby-World

Thirty-five days! Five weeks! Let's all hope we make it this time. Last time, well, things didn't go so well. Without the grace of God and the wonderful doctors and nurses at the hospital here, they could have gone much worse. Childbirth is natural. It happens all the time. And without the help of modern medicine, it could be deadly. Last time almost was.

This time there are no blood pressure problems--in fact, I've been running nice and low (Below 110/70, usually). With Lilli, It shot up about 50 points within 24 hours, so I have to take it every day. That increase in blood pressure is a sign of preeclampsia, which can lead to seizures and all sorts of unpleasantry. It's why I was induced at 38 weeks. It wasn't the near-death experience, though.

The NDE was uterine bleeding after the birth. It went undetected for at least two hours. According to the doctor, I was about 15 minutes away from the point of no return. Thank God I asked to go to the restroom when I did, and that the nurse realized how serious the gushing blood was (though how someone could not, I'm not sure. I have no idea what is normal after a birth).

So with this little boy, we are all praying that everything is healthy and normal and on time, if not a little late. If I'm lucky, he could be born on All Saints' Day, which would be very cool. He might think a Halloween birthday is more cool, of course. Little boys tend to.

No comments: