Thursday, January 14, 2010

A Daybook Entry

This is Lilli last spring, almost a year ago. She loves that little white hat, which Jeanie Etchemendy in Douglas made for her. New pics coming soon, I promise.

On another blog I read, it mentioned the Simple Woman's Daybook, which is at http://www.thesimplewomansdaybook.blogspot.com/ I liked it, so I thought I'd try it for those days when I don't have anything to sound off about on my soapbox.


Outside my window . . . the sun is shining. We are supposed to keep the above-freezing temperatured for a little while longer. It's breezy, cool and the mountains look splendid.


I am thinking . . . about the people of Haiti, the rescuers, about how the US is so good at making this all about us, instead of them, as if what we do in response is more important than what happened in the first place.


I am thankful for . . . finally finishing the Homeschooling 'year'. Since we started in Sept. '08, I've had a baby, Chalea worked part time for 5 months for a boss who tried to give her full-time hours, we had to stop schooling at the drop of a hat to clean for showings about once or twice a week, we sold our house and moved into my parents house, then bought a house and moved again. I think it's safe to say that the next year will go quicker and smoother.


I am wearing . . . jeans, a long-sleeve v-neck t-shirt, sneakers, which Lilli called my sketchers, because somehow, she got it into her head that all sneakers are sketchers.


I am remembering . . . how careful Lilli used to be with books. I could let her page through my magazines sometimes and she wouldn't tear or rip them. Salvador eats the bindings off books. I actually had a serious conversation with the checker at Petco yesterday about whether nylabones would be a safe thing for him to teeth on. She thought so, especially since they can be run through the dishwasher.


I am going . . . nowhere. I was out of town most of yesterday and spent Tuesday uploading work for Chalea's schooling, so the house is a disaster. Today I clean.


I am currently reading . . . The Sharing Knife, Passage by Lois McMaster Bujold and my daily devotions from The Magnificat.


I am hoping . . . I can stay feeling this well. I was fighting some really dark, depressing thoughts through Nov. and Dec. It's mostly Seasonal Affective Disorder, I think. The nicer weather and little longer days are helping. I am also hoping my fence will go up this week while the weather is good.


The kids are . . . goofballs. We bought a new toilet plunger yesterday and Sal thinks it's his toy. Maybe he has a great future as a plumber. Lilli has been oscillating between quietly painting, coloring and letting me read to her and running amok and yelling nonsense.


On my mind . . . again, Haiti, cleaning the house, wondering where simple overeating ends and the sin of gluttony begins, writing my book and making it both good writing and good morals.

I almost adopted a cat yesterday. I was so tempted. He was at Petco, a big, brown tabby named Elvis that let Sal and Lilli love on him while he just rumbled. We discovered that Sal can say 'kitty'. I have three reasons that I can't adopt a cat, even just a lovey one: allergic husband, a dog with high prey drive (thinks cats make good breakfast), and three birds that the cat would think are breakfast. Honestly, I'd work with the birds, but I won't make Lupe miserable or risk the cat's life with Sutter.


Noticing that . . . Lilli needs a haircut.


Pondering these words . . . not words so much as a concept that my Grandma Holt told me about one a visit long ago. It was about praying for your town or neighborhood while walking around it. So much sin builds up in areas, and without prayer for the people and the area, it starts dragging it down. Walk the boundaries and pray.


From the kitchen . . . we have leftover rotini pizzaioli, except I used wagon wheels instead of rotini because the kids like them better. Right now, the kitchen needs cleaned.


Around the house . . . a mess, a mess, a mess. Lilli and Sal are playing with an empty coffee canister, the birds are twittering, Sutter has settled down by my feet--his favorite place while I'm at the computer.


One of my favorite things . . . The mountains in the morning when the sun is still pink and orange across them; watching Sal and Lilli dance to any music that's playing.


No comments: